So I probably should have started easy but for whatever reason I didn’t. I went with Mary Berry’s chocolate teacakes. Oh well…
The other week I bought a silicon mould from Sew White (check it out at http://www.sewwhite.com – cool site) and have wanted to try these for ages anyway so I thought why not!
It all started well – melted the chocolate and made the biscuits. Making the chocolate domes took quite a while trying to make an even shell and constantly moving the mould round so the chocolate didn’t pool in the middle and at this point they looked very shiny!
The part I was most worried about was making the marshmallow but that was surprisingly easy and I coated the biscuits and left everything to cool and set.
After filling the domes with marshmallow and having quite a bit of chocolate left I realised that the domes were smaller than the recipe catered for so I decided to trim down the coated biscuits so they’d fit more snugly (hopefully!).
I then put the biscuits on, piped round the edge (made a bit of a mess) and left to set overnight.
In the morning I turned them out the mould and trimmed off the chocolate. The biscuit part at the bottom was a bit messy but the domes were smooth. I was disappointed to see 4 were a bit off colour (guessing a change in temp in the chocolate) but 2 were shiny, woo!
Taste test: they went down well – quite rich (considering they were meant to be bigger they were big enough!) and the marshmallow was very vanilla-ry but good. I want to try them again accommodating for the smaller mould and therefore tidier and maybe with milk chocolate as I prefer that to dark.